Film Screening & Ticket Information
When & Where to See this Film!
Date, Time & Location:
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3RD •8:30 pm – 10:15 pm
KAS Zukor • 35th St. • Long Island City, NY 11106
What Can We Learn?: Two films that ask big questions.
East Bay is a micro budget comedy/drama about a Korean American man who at age 39 decides he’s had it with trying to be happy and successful. Suspicious that we’re all in a simulation anyway, he lazily explores spirituality. In the process his psyche unravels, and he blows up the lives of those around him.
- Daniel Yoon, Director; Post Concussion
- Daniel Yoon, Writer; Post Concussion
- Daniel Yoon, Producer; Post Concussion
- Constance Wu, Key Cast, “Sara”; Crazy Rich Asians, Hustlers, Fresh Off the Boat
- Kavi Ramachandran Ladnier, Key Cast, “Vivanti”; NCIS:LA, The Sex Lives of College Girls, NCIS:LA, Boris and the Bomb
- Daniel Yoon, Key Cast, “Jack”; Post Concussion
- Edmund Sim, Key Cast, “Tim”; East Bay
- Destry Miller, Key Cast, “Stuart”; Post Concussion
- Melissa Pond, Key Cast, “Beth”; East Bay
- Dougald Park, Key Cast, “God”; Bruce Almighty, The Last Ship, Pretty Little Liars
- Jennifer Chang, Key Cast, “Hospital Nurse”; Mom, Friends with Benefits (TV), Hawthorne
Daniel Yoon was born outside of Chicago, and grew up in Toronto, the son of South Korean immigrants. He attended high school at the University of Toronto Schools, where he was elected Valedictorian by his classmates. He completed a BS with Distinction in Engineering Physics as well as a BA summa cum laude in History in four and half years at Cornell University, and played junior varsity ice hockey for Cornell. He received an MPA from Princeton University’s School of Public and International Affairs, where he was awarded the Somers Prize for best thesis. He has no formal film training.
Daniel has had several different careers. He’s worked as an Outward Bound Instructor, leading extended canoe expeditions in Northern Ontario. He’s also served environmental causes as an energy policy analyst in Washington DC and Colorado. And he was a management consultant to Fortune 1000 companies with a leading consulting firm.
Daniel’s first feature Post Concussion (16mm • 82 min •1999) was a no-budget partially autobiographical comedy about an arrogant and successful consultant whose life changes in surprising ways after a serious head injury. Daniel was the Writer, Director, Producer, Cinematographer, Editor, and Lead Actor. For many shots in the film, Daniel would set up the Eclair NPR camera, turn it on, and then step into frame. Post Concussion won several festival awards, including the Taos Land Grant from the Taos Talking Pictures Festival (2000). Indiewire called it “Brilliant” and Variety “Intriguingly original and appealingly offbeat.”
Daniel then wrote and was prepared to shoot East Bay (formerly titled Low Budget Ethnic Movie), but was slowed by the financial crisis of 2008, then by another, more serious, head injury. Principal photography started in 2010, with a then unknown Constance Wu in her first lead in a feature. The micro-budget film was shot with a crew of 1-4. Due to ongoing family and personal medical issues, East Bay was completed only in 2022.